The most apparent danger with candles is that they are ignited by fire, which permits an unattended candle to possibly inflict catastrophic damage—even death in the most extreme situations. However, candles also pose a hidden risk because they produce toxic gases as they burn. If you have a fire outside your home, you should avoid using your door as a exit because heat and smoke may be waiting for you when you return.
The best way to avoid these dangers is through education. Make sure that you never leave any type of flame burning indoors, whether it's a lamp, a stove, or a fireplace. Also, do not use your door as an escape route during a fire; instead, find another way out. Finally, keep candles away from children and pets.
If you do encounter a fire, call 911 immediately and follow all instructions given by firefighters. They will tell you what actions to take to put out the fire and protect yourself and your property.
One of the most serious difficulties with decorative candles, particularly those made of flowers or other natural materials, is the potential of a fire. This is because the natural substance's wax covering serves as an incendiary when exposed to air, causing the material to swiftly burn. However, roses have been used for centuries as an ingredient in perfume and soap. They are also employed as a filler in cards and bouquets due to their beautiful appearance and scent. Thus, it is not unusual for candles made with rose petals to be on sale throughout the year at flower shops and craft fairs.
However, roses contain large amounts of oil that can cause a flame to go out if not properly processed. Additionally, the water content of roses can turn a small amount of wax into a large puddle that could sparkle in the sunlight like rain, but be difficult to walk on- especially if you have heels on.
The best way to use floral ingredients is as additives rather than substrates. That means using one or two petals, not a whole bloom. Also, keep in mind that some substances are toxic if ingested, so use caution if you're burning anything flammable such as cotton balls dipped in fragrance oil.
Finally, remember that just because something is natural doesn't mean it's harmless. Some plants are poisonous even in small quantities, while others can be harmful only when consumed in large quantities.
When used as recommended on the label, our candles are completely safe. They are subjected to intensive quality and safety testing under demanding burn and usage circumstances, and they meet or exceed all applicable industry and regulatory safety and performance requirements.
However, like any other product, if you use them improperly or without understanding how they work, they could pose a risk to health and property. Please follow all instructions on your candle packaging. If you have any questions about candle safety, please call us at 1-800-BUY-BGW (1-800-289-9276).
When you burn a candle, it emits chemicals that might be harmful to your health. If you intend to light candles on a regular basis, it is best to do so in a well-ventilated area to reduce the quantity of smoke you inhale. Keep your candles away from drafts to reduce the quantity of smoke they emit. This is especially important for fragrance-based candles, which will emit more pollutants than soy or paraffin wax candles.
The chemicals released when you burn a candle include carbon dioxide, water vapor, organic compounds (such as aldehydes and phenols), and tiny particles called particulate matter. Particulate matter can become suspended in the air when burned, leading to air pollution. Organic compounds are also known to be toxic if breathed in large quantities. Water vapor is harmless; however, other substances may be added to candles to protect wood and other materials around them from absorbing too much moisture. These additives include plasticizers, fungicides, and insecticides.
Burning candles releases pollutants into the environment. Although this environmental impact is small compared with that of other sources such as electricity or natural gas, it is still significant. Before you start burning candles, ask yourself whether this activity is worth the risk of harming your health. A better option would be to use energy-efficient lights and heaters instead.
While flashlights and battery-powered lamps are effective sources of light during prolonged power outages, candles, when used properly, are also reliable alternatives. It's crucial to remember that a candle is an exposed flame, which always carries the risk of a fire. However, if you follow some basic safety guidelines, you should have no trouble enjoying your candles without worrying about damage to your property or personal injury.
First, make sure that you use only certified safety candles in accordance with federal law. These candles are required to meet standards for burn time, heat release, and colorless smoke as well as other criteria. Before using any candle, read the label carefully to be sure it meets these requirements. If not, don't use it!
Secondly, keep your candleholders and candle-receiving containers away from anything that can catch fire. Make sure that nothing within six inches of the candleholder is burning. Also, do not leave burning candles unattended.
Finally, take precautions against accidents happening near your candles. Have a flashlight on hand in case you need to see what's going on around the house while you're gone. And consider installing a night-light so you'll know how to get back home if you end up outside after dark.
These tips will ensure that you and your family remain safe during a power outage.
Candles have a unique beauty and tranquillity, but a lit candle is also an exposed flame and a possible fire threat if not carefully controlled. According to the National Fire Protection Association, candles spark an estimated 8,200 residential fires each year. The number one cause of home fire deaths is smoking a cigarette or other tobacco product in bed.
The best protection against candle-related fires is the proper installation of safety devices included with most candles. These include scents, glow sticks, and guard wires. Avoid placing candles so that they can reach flames or hot surfaces.
If you experience any smoke alarms going off due to a candle fire, remove all candles from your home immediately. Otherwise, the heat from the fire may be enough to set off your alarm as well.
Although candle fires are generally easy to control, they can cause serious damage to your property if not taken seriously. If you experience a candle fire, call 911 immediately and evacuate the building. Do not try and put out the fire yourself because even small amounts of fuel can quickly turn into a large blaze.
People who live in apartments should know that many apartment complexes require that you extinguish candles when you leave a room. This is for the owner's benefit since burned out candles emit toxic chemicals that other people might find unpleasant.